
Well, I did it. I walked for the cure.
But, the whole thing kind of seemed a little ridiculous to me. I don't know if I was the only one thinking this, so I did a little research on the whole thing. I am mainly questioning how me walking is going to affect breast cancer. Also, where all the money that is donated from these 10's of thousands of people is actually going to. Here is a little break down from where Susan G. Komen says the money we donate goes to:

I don't want to sound ignorant or mean or uncaring, but I don't feel like this is a very good division of the donations. Also, in my research I found that only 84¢ of every dollar actually goes towards one of these areas. Where is the other 16¢ going to? Now you may be saying whooped-de-doo, 16¢... but let me put it into perspective for you. The majority of participants pay $25 to do the race for the cure. If you calculate it, $4 of my $25 is somewhere unknown. Multiply it by the 38,000 participants for the event just in Phoenix and that is $148,000 going to an unknown place. Not going towards research, screening, treatment. That is a lot of money. And that was just in one day, one event. These events are taking place all the time, all over the place.
Now to the little pie chart they have of where the money is used. 33% goes to research/adwards. How much of that 33% is actually going towards research and not awards? (I don't really care about awards) Then 29% to education: I don't know about everyone else, but I feel like there has been enough education about breast cancer by now. Don't believe me? How about you go up to 30 people and ask them what they can tell you about breast cancer. You won't get anyone saying, "breast cancer? What's that?" You will get a pretty good description of what breast cancer is. I feel like EVERY American knows what breast cancer is. Yes, that 29% was probably necessary years and years ago when breast cancer wasn't such a popular topic as is is now, but let's drop that percentage and use it for research, treatment, screenings; that is where we need it! Breast Cancer "awareness" is no longer necessary. Everyone is aware it is out there and that it is affecting a ton of people, men and women. Let's quit this awareness crap and actually make a dent in breast cancer's affect on the world's population!
No comments:
Post a Comment