My mom has been making this for us since we were little and it is still one of my favorite snacks/desserts. It is addicting, once you start eating it, you find yourself still eating it hours later.
And, Rob loves it too, so I will be making it after I write this post.
I know it has corn syrup, and I am sorry, because I know that corn syrup is in EVERYTHING and isn't good for you in high quantities, but trust me, this stuff is so good that you will hope that it is the first thing you get to shove in your mouth when you walk into heaven. and this is how I think: raisins=healthy. nuts=healthy. seeds=healthy. rice chex=healthy. so... Chex mix=healthy
So here it is... feel free to add as much mixed nuts, sunflower seeds, and raisins as you like. or omit them if you don't like some of them. Also, craisins are delicious in this too.
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Karo syrup
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 box chex cereal (I suggest rice or corn. wheat isn't so good in this)
mixed nuts
sunflower seeds (salted are best)
raisins
Mix cereal, nuts, seeds, and raisins together in a large bowl. set aside.
Bring butter, sugar and karo syrup to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes only. DO NOT GO OVER THE 3 MINUTES!!!! If you do, your chex mix will cool down and be hard and crunchy instead of chewy like it is supposed to be. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. (it will kind of foam up a bit, take a deep breath, this is normal)
Pour syrup mixture over cereal mixture and fold in.
Put in a tupperware container for storage.
3 years ago
CHEX MIX is the BEST!! totally a holiday's thing!
ReplyDelete