This week has been pretty uneventful for the life of Jenn. Just school, church, and baking.
School is going just beyond awesome. I love ultrasound and all that goes with it. Well, let me take that back. Almost all that goes with it. But I have awesome clinical sites where I am learning more than I ever thought I could learn. Saw my first transrectal exam today, and am SO glad that I don't have a prostate! ha
Church has been keeping me busy not just physically, but spiritually and emotionally. I have been thinking a lot about church callings and have really noticed how they are really inspired. Our church leaders really pray about what calling each ward member should have. Heavenly Father knows us SO well and knows where we need to grow, knows our desires, our weaknesses and our strengths. And our callings help us fulfill our desires, strengthen our weaknesses and help us use our strengths. I personally, still have not received a calling:):) shhh.. don't tell bishop.... But I consider my visiting teaching assignments to be a calling. I have 7 people to visit each month. And as much as I complain about how many people I have to visit, it really is perfect for me. First: I don't know anyone in Des Moines, so it is meeting my need of wanting to make new friends and meet people. Second: One of my weaknesses is how I treat obese people. I was recently asked to add an extremely obese lady to my visiting teaching list. Immediately I complained to Rob (and my mom...) about how I don't want to visit her, made a ton of prejudices about her, placed a lot of labels on her, and griped like no other. However, I KNOW I am mean and uncompassionate and unempathetic towards obese people. And as much as I will deny it, that is one of my weaknesses that needs to be strengthened.
So, as much as I don't want to visit this lady, I am putting my trust in the Lord. I know that there is a reason why I am visiting each and every one of the people I have for visiting teaching. I just have to be obedient and find out!
As for baking... I slaved over a french silk pie for our ward pie contest at the chili cook-off. I was SURE I was going to win. 5:30 came around. I went outside and shoveled the 7 inches of snow off of our drive way. Drove in the snow storm weather to the ward building. And NO ONE WAS THERE! NO ONE! Apparently it was cancelled because of the weather, and I didn't get the memo. But, the pie was good, and hopefully I can participate in the next pie contest.
This Friday Rob will be joining me in Des Moines and we will be able to celebrate our Valentines Day that we didn't get to spend together. YAY!
3 years ago
I'm so sorry the pie contest was canceled, I would have been so annoyed & way bummed. I'm proud of you for keeping a positive attitude about the whole thing:)
ReplyDeletehey jenn. so glad you're enjoying your school so much! i love my school also. so how much longer are you and rob going to have to be living apart? just wondering b/c aaron and i have to live apart while he starts dental school. i'm not looking forward to it, but it looks like you and rob and surviving well.
ReplyDeleteOkay so I am reading this post thinking wow, this is really deep. Then I read the line that says "One of my weaknesses is how I treat obese people" and then i started cracking up. Well I promise that when you get Jayson's age I won't make fun of you if you get a grinch belly like Jayson! But seriously you will have a lot of obese patients (believe me) so this will just help you get used to it! And kudos on the pie you can make it for me anytime! And when are you coming to visit?
ReplyDelete