Jenn and Rob

Monday, January 12, 2009

A Family (albeit physically alone) night activity

So....Rob here..

I have come to realize a few things about myself over the last few months. First, I have no sense of direction at all. I could have the directions tattooed on my forehead (backwards so I can read it in the rear view mirror), the directions electronically available on the Blackberry, a GPS, with a cold, calculating German accent and a mild electric shock option for poor listeners, verbally telling me the directions, and I would still require Jenn's help to get to her parent's place (unless we are driving straight from “our winter” home in Phoenix. Please don't ask me to drive from our summer home in Des Moines to anywhere except for the redbox a mile away).

Second, I am really laid back. OK..that is not a new revelation, but the laid back personality sometimes drifts into procrastination. Venti style. For example, as part of my job, I need to keep certain certifications up-to-date. It is similar to medical board exams, but they are not required per se, nor or they regulated by the state government. I have a certification due on 4/18/2009, but I have not been entering my continuing education credits for the last 3 years. Yipes! So now, I have to now frantically, which most astute readers know is on the opposite spectrum of laid back, review my calendar for any conferences, classes (both virtual and brick\morter ones) , books, or seminars that I taught that may count for continued education points. Yipes!

Other examples: I need to write people back letters and emails, unpack more boxes, and go to the bathroom (kidding…just making sure you are paying attention). Now, what do you (see note below on definition of YOU) sometimes procrastinate on? There has to be something? Right? Don't tell me...you prefer the carrot over the stick?

NOTE – Definition of you..you means YOU. don't think that this blog is not quasi-interactive. It is not interactive in like a Big Brother kind of way, but more like an adult (not that kind of adult) Sesame street, Barney, or webkins. YOU have to do some work by commenting on any of our crazy questions. Drive-by readers are not welcome..maybe just a little bit welcome if you are nice.

So, there are two new sections to the right: Section 1 contains the picture of the week, while section 2 contains photos of books that I am reading. Obviously, the pics of the week are those of our amazing wedding. Yeah!!! I like promote and give a shout out (yes...this white boy just wrote "shout out;") to Ryan Hoffman, our photographer for both the engagement session and wedding.

Please don't take any offense. I am not trying to start a bridezilla war, but I must admit, that Jenn was truly the most beautiful and radiant bride ever. Me? Well, if you could ignore the never ending and reverse fountain of snot(can you think of more polite word for snot? Mucus?) spouting out of my snout and the blood-shot eyes from me crying. I swear that somebody was wearing an onion-based perfume at the wedding. Seriously, that is the only explanation because I am not a cryer. I don’t cry. I don’t cry. I don’t cry. I am not an emotional softy. I am real man. For example, I like power tools, like computers, ipods, blackberries, and laser pointers with a range of 2 miles, or 3.2 km for our Canadian\Dutch readers..or really anyone outside of the US) . Another example is that I don’t eat Keish either, at least not the ones made with bacon.

I created second section on the right because I love books (not as much as I love Jenn though…not even close). I love finding them, buying them, and reading them (although, I probably do more of former two things than latter one)...anywho, the books shown are really an eclectic mixture of books, although not illustrated is my trusty New Testament. I will add it. Please don't get stressed out about the fighting one. I am just researching various martial arts for their practical aspects. I am also trying recover my image as a sensitive “bad donkey. This book provides some insights into the more practical martial arts, and hopefully, it will help me select a good one that is close to home and within our budget.

Here is a short-list of the contenders: Krav Maga, Wing Chun Kung Fu (not quite like Kung Fu Panda, but close to it), Jeet Kun Do (thank you Bruce Lee), Aikido (think Steven Segal, but not with the Daniel-san kicks), and Bujinkan (sort of like teenage ninja turtles), and Kung Fu San Soo (I could give you an example, but somebody else would have to kill you…softly of course and with a song).

A few random news items: a) I am flying to see my incredible wife on January 24; b) I blessed the sacrament this past Sunday at church without making a mistake. I probably sounded like I was going through puberty though. I did it three more times as I visited with widows in the late morning and early afternoon in their homes. It was amazing (even for an analytical guy like me); and c) I am still doing two jobs at work and I am feeling a little bit overwhelmed by the workload, but it is still the best job. I love it. I am on-call this week. Ugh!

I am not in the mood to talk about US or world politics. OK. I will mention one thing: a) you can buy the domain name "Obamapizza.com" for a cool 5 million dollars on ebay.com. I would, but I don’t want touch my savings; it has taken me a while to accumulate that much monopoly money and I am not hungry for pizza.

A few closing thoughts for the week (aka homework assignment).

1) What does it mean to be a Saint? The websters dictionary defines a Saint as follows: a) one eminent for piety or virtue; and b) an illustrious predecessor. Are you a Saint?

2) What is your favorite D&C verse (please ask if you are not up on the latest, or any Mormon acronyms)? My favorite (at least today since I just read them yesterday) is 19:15 - 19. Really cool.

3) What does it mean to be like Jesus Christ (check out the Index for Jesus Christ in the Pearl of great price)?

here something for the non-Mormons -

4) why do they put a round pizza into a square box?

5) What is the difference between an illegal alien and an immigrant?

Until next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment